Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems
In accordance with the overall concept of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems focuses on applied research and development on behalf of industry and society. In doing so, the emphasis is placed on micro-opto-electro-mechanical systems (MOEMS) and advancements in the quality of life by means of microsystems and photonic system solutions. As suggested by its name, the »Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems« stands for a focus on optical sensors and actuators, electronics and microsystem technology as well as the close interaction of these fields with regard to the application of intelligent photonic and electronic systems. The competencies of the Fraunhofer IPMS extend far beyond specific components towards the development of complete systems.
Research for the industry
- Buildings of Fraunhofer IPMS.
© Fraunhofer IPMS
The Fraunhofer IPMS set itself the target of extending these core competencies. The central points of this mission are therefore:
- gaining the status of a Center of Excellency in research, development and pilot fabrication in the field of innovative photonic microsystems;
- creation of integrated solutions for information technologies, industrial applications (e. g. automotive) as well as medical and environmental technologies;
- outstanding performance in science as well as application and licensing of »intellectual property« (IP);
- strengthening the competitiveness of the research institutions and companies in the fields of microsystem technologies and micro electronics in the region of Dresden / Saxony.
The Fraunhofer IPMS is in particular prospect of promoting its competence and experience in the growth markets of photonic micro actuators, system applications of sensors and actuators and medical technology and of exploiting this expertise in industrial applications.
As a result, over the next years, the Fraunhofer IPMS is to:
- consolidate its position at the forefront of research and development of micro-opto-electro-mechanical devices and systems;
- extend its competencies in the field of photonic microsystems from concept design to pilot fabrication of devices up to the implementation of device and system prototypes for public and industrial partners;
- advance to the leading position in the field of photonic micro and nano systems, with regional spin-offs and worldwide recognition and clientele.